Children and Families
Item request has been placed! ×
Item request cannot be made. ×
Children and Family Events
Ligonier Valley Library Spring Into Reading Beanstack Challenge
Put some spring in your step and get reading! Log your minutes and complete a few fun at-home activities. Ready, set, bloom! Our community goal is to read 50,000 minutes from March 1st through May 1st. Your personal goal is to read 20 hours along with completing 3 fun activities.We will have a few prize drawings along the way. You can pre-register now. This challenge is for all ages (perfect for families) and officially begins March 1st!
If you are a new or returning reader, just register or log in to Beanstack here.
The Include Me Program through The Arc of Pennsylvania, is hosting a free book study for students in fourth through eighth grades in Pennsylvania. The first book in this new program is Out of My Mind by Mrs. Sharon Draper. The novel is told by Melody, an incredibly intelligent 5th grade student who has a photographic memory, and Cerebral Palsy. In this discussion kids will talk about acceptance and inclusion, different kinds of disabilities and abilities, friendship and understanding and so much more.
The book study will begin on March 17th, 2021 and runs every Wednesday from 6:00pm to 7:00pm until May 19th, 2021. Discussions will be held via Google Classroom and Google Meet. Students can register for the ‘Student Session’ on the Arc's website at www.includemepa.org. Please reach out to Jennifer Billig if you have any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org or 717-887-6609.
Preschool Storytime Packets
Is your child 3, 4, or 5? If so, we will have very special Preschool Storytime packets starting in March.
Pick up your hat themed packet from March 3rd - March 9th. We will then have a Facebook Live Storytime on March 10th at 10:30 using the fun items found in your packet.
Pick up your Easter themed packet from March 17th - March 23rd. We will then have a Facebook Live Storytime on March 24th using the fun items found in your packet.
1,000 Books Before Kindergarten
When: This is an ongoing program
We are challenging parents and caregivers to read 1,000 books before Kindergarten to their young children ages 0-5. This is a simple yet fun program for you and your child. Learn about 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten here!
Register for the 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten challenge here.
Resources for Families
- Interested in AWE at home? Use this Google Form to sign up! Find the link to login on the slider above.
- We wanted to share a fantastic empathy program geared towards young children from the Blackburn Center. The goal of this program is to help prevent bullying and other forms of violence or abuse. Due to COVID they are offering these resources virtually. There are two series to watch. We also have many of the books that are read here for you to check out in the library. Enjoy!
- Dr. Seuss' birthday is March 2nd. Enjoy this link for Dr. Suess books for every age and stage.
- Seussville for parents! You will find many fun activities for Dr. Suess fun at home.
- Check out this penguin live cam from the San Diego Zoo. Here is another place to watch penguins. You can watch other animals too at these links.
- Feelings can be hard for children to talk about. Helping children use words to describe what is happening inside them is an important part of Social and Emotional Learning. Ready Set Music is designed to help reinforce those messages with catchy songs and fun activities. #TogetherPennsylvania #LearningAtHome Check out Ready Set Music at this link.
- Check out this link for a list of 9 books to help kids with sight words. The Ligonier Valley Library has several of these and most of them are in our library system that can be placed on hold and picked up. We are in the process of ordering those we do not have.
Call the library at 724-238-6451 to speak to Mrs. Oates or send her an email.
Give the Gift of a Library Card
The age to get a library card at Ligonier Valley Library is five! Stop in and sign your child up today and give them a passport for adventure!
For more information on any of our library programs, contact us at 724-238-6451. A schedule of events can be found on our Event Calendar.
New Library Hours can be found on our home page!
Coming to the Library This Summer!