Adults & Seniors
The Ligonier Valley Library and the Ligonier Air Quality Program
Ligonier citizens along with Citizens to Preserve Ligonier Valley, have received a grant from the Pittsburgh Foundation to cover the cost of a three-year Ligonier Valley air quality program. This baseline study will be conducted with analysis by The Environmental Health Project (EHP) to benefit the health and welfare of the residents. Ligonier Valley is especially susceptible to air pollution due to its topography. Industrial activity in the region and surrounding areas could potentially exacerbate air pollution for residents and threaten tourism, our major attraction. This air quality study will provide residents, supervisors, and visitors with baseline information on local air quality by measuring both Particulate Matter (PM) and Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs).
Ligonier Valley Library has three types of Air Monitors
1) PurpleAir Sensor- Fine Particulate Air Monitor
"These laser pollution sensors use laser particle counters that provide an accurate way to measure smoke, dust, and other particulate air pollution in real-time. The Purple Air records a range of particulate matter on a continuous basis throughout the monitoring period in µg/m3. This online data base and mapping tool is now available to Ligonier residents.'
Ligonier residents can now get real time and daily/weekly averages for Air Quality in Ligonier online by going to: Real-time air quality map | PurpleAir
Once you are on the PurpleAir website a map of your location will come up. If you are in Ligonier Valley the map will show ten PurpleAir monitors located throughout the Valley from Donegal to Wilpen. These sites include The Ligonier Valley Library, Powdermill Nature Reserve, the Compass Inn Museum along with Ligonier resident's homes. PurpleAir monitors are throughout the country and worldwide so if there is another location you would like to see air quality, go to the upper left-hand corner and input that location.
2) Volatile Organic Compound (VOC) Air Monitor
The VOC AIR monitor tracks total Volatile Organic Compounds, equivalent CO2, temperature, and humidity. The monitor collects readings in parts per billion (ppb). VOC's are air pollutants that are released as gases into the air from certain solids or liquids and can be found in many products or industrial processes.
3) Indoor Speck Monitor
"The Speck Monitor is an indoor air monitor that measures the current concentration of fine particles in the air."
Visit our Beanstack page to check out the different reading and activity challenges happening throughout the year. There are challenges for all ages!
How do you join one or more of our challenges?
- Visit https://ligonierlibrary.beanstack.org/ and register (already registered? Then visit that site and sign in).
- Scroll down the page to find details on all of our challenges and even to read reviews.
- Once you join a challenge, look over the requirements to complete.
- Get started earning badges (some badges include tickets for prizes, but some challenges are just for fun).
- If you really loved the book (or really hated it), write a review to help other patrons and Beanstack participants.
Have a smartphone or tablet? Install the Beantack Tracker app. We highly recommend this as a great way to participate on the challenges! The app is super easy to use and has some fun features that are not found on the website. Need assistance? Stop in or call the Library and we'll help you.
Extra fun available on Libby!
Open Libby on your smartphone or tablet (or visit libbyapp.com on your computer) to find three Extras that the Westmoreland Library Network is excited to share with our patrons - The Great Courses Library Collection, Qello Concerts, and IndieFlix!
- Never stop learning with The Great Courses - from history to science to learning languages, find it all for FREE in one convenient place!
- Stream pop culture favorites, box office hits, award-winning feature films, documentaries, and shorts with IndieFlix for FREE!
- The world's largest collection of full-length concerts and music documentaries is available in Qello Concerts - literally, stream concerts from the best seat in your house for FREE!!!
These great services are available on Libby (the app is available in the iTunes and Google Play stores) or at libbyapp.com to Westmoreland Library Network patrons with an eCard and a physical library card (need one, visit Get a Library Card for more information). If you have any questions or need assistance, stop in or call the Ligonier Valley Library at 724-238-6451.